We’ve had some skirt steak sitting in the freezer for a couple of months, so I decided to try my hand at making fajitas with this stuff. The meat can tend to be a little tough, so I figured the crockpot would help. I kind of made this recipe up in my head, so it was a big experimen! Luckily, these were very flavorful, and while the meat wasn’t super tender, it was much better than just cooking it on a skillet and serving it!
Crockpot Steak Fajitas
- 1 lb. skirt steak, cut into strips
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 tbsp. taco seasoning
- 2 tbsp. olive oil (divided)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- salt & pepper
- Add 1 tbsp. oil to a skillet on medium-high and allow it to heat up. Add steak pieces in with the taco seasoning and brown them. Don’t fully cook the pieces, but give it a little sear.
- In a 2 qt. crockpot, add the water, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Add the seared steak and leftover oil.
- Cook on low for 2.5 – 3 hours.
- After the meat is cooked, add oil and a tsp. each of salt and pepper to a skillet and cook down onions and bell peppers on medium-high.
- Toss in meat with 3 tbsp. seasoned liquid from the crockpot and cook the mixture for another 2-3 minutes or until the majority of the liquid has cooked off.
- Serve with warmed soft tortillas and other toppings! Enjoy!